George Fournaris, CPA, CGFM
Accounting & Auditing
Transparency is the key to good governance and an audit is essential to achieving transparency. Our team takes its responsibility to help clients with their goal of attaining true transparency very seriously."
George specializes in assurance, accounting, and auditing services with a focus on government and nonprofit sectors. He also serves small business, maritime, water utility, and low-income housing sectors. His experience encompasses financial audits, reviews, compilations, compliance audits under the Single Audit Act and under regulations of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, investigations of fraud and waste, and appraisal of privatization options.
Prior to joining BLS, George spent 17 years as an auditor for a local/national accounting firm where he was responsible for assurance services for governments, nonprofit agencies, and private businesses. He also spent two years as Chief Financial Officer for a large nonprofit organization providing health care and community-based housing services where he was responsible for financial reporting, asset management, internal controls, budgeting, compliance, payroll, and trust services. He also previously served as Director of Finance for the City of Wilmington.
Because of George’s experience, leadership and client service philosophy, he is an exemplary niche leader for our governmental clients.
Areas of Specialization
Professional Memberships & Recognition
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Delaware Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Government Accountants
- Delaware League of Local Governments
Boards & Committees
- Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
- American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association
- Odyssey Charter School
- Wilmington Board of Pensions and Retirement
- Wilmington Housing Partnership
- Wilmington Planning Commission
- University of Delaware – Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting
- Certified Government Financial Manager