Maria Hurd, CPA
Accounting & Auditing
Selecting a qualified auditor is an important fiduciary responsibility. To help clients choose BLS confidently, I continue to build my knowledge base, staying on top of legislative changes through my ASPPA membership and developing close working relationships with ERISA attorneys in the region."
In the past five years, Maria and her team have more than doubled a practice exclusively dedicated to auditing benefit plans. What a great opportunity for us and for our clients. She’s a diligent and focused leader for our employee benefit plan audit section.
You know your team is doing something right when a Department of Labor (DOL) agent commends you on your work product, including thorough audit documentation, accurate checklists, and audit work sufficient to support the audit opinion on the plan’s financial statements. The DOL agent mentioned that Maria and her team provided a quality of work that was just as good as the larger national firms in our industry.
Whether benefit plans have a few hundred participants or tens of thousands, Maria’s employee benefit plan audit team performs the highest quality audit while causing the least amount of interruption to the client.
Areas of Specialization
Professional Memberships & Recognition
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Delaware Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Administrators
- ASPPA Benefits Council of Greater Philadelphia – Board Member/President
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- PrimeGlobal Employee Benefit Group Member
- Wilmington Tax Group
- Recognition of Academic Achievement in Retirement Plans as part of the Certified Employee Benefit Specialist curriculum sponsored by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans and the Wharton School of Business
Boards & Committees
- Latin American Community Center – Board Member/President
- Tatnall School – Past Audit Committee Member (2009-2019)
- Georgetown University – Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting & International Management
- AICPA Advanced Defined Contribution Plans Audit Certification
- American Retirement Association – Certified Plan Sponsor Professional (CPSP)